Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chuseok

Just to start this post off and make you all jealous, the only lectures I had this week was on Monday! In Korea they will be celebrating Chuseok on 19th of September, so that would be tomorrow. A better word for Chuseok could maybe be Thanksgiving so you all know what I am talking about. This is the biggest and most important holiday in Korea. On Chuseok people visit their hometowns and spends time with family and relatives. On the table you will see the traditional dishes as rice cake, rice wine, fruits etc. You might wonder, why fruits? Usually when people buy gifts on Chuseok, it has to be something useful. Fruits is something that is very expensive here in Korea. A watermelon, approximately the size as on the picture, costs almost 30,000krw (20 euros).
For a foreigner staying in Korea at these times can be a bit boring. Most of the shops are closed, all the koreans you might know are visiting their relatives and most of the students you know have made big plans for this holiday. So here I am, stuck in Korea... alone. Let´s see what the weekend offers. At the moment it looks like I will be heading to Everland, Caribbean Bay and perhaps try bungee jumping. I will let you know more whenever I know about my plans.

To all my Korean friends that are celebrating Chuseok - Have a wonderful Chuseok!!

No comments:

Post a Comment